Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Importance of Developing Effective Communication Skills

“The problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished.” 

- George Bernard Shaw, Irish playwright.

Since birth, conveying messages and expressing thoughts and emotions via communication has been an integral part of our lives. However, communication can be such a complex process that it can easily breakdown, resulting in various interpersonal conflicts. As such, effective communication is an important tool which comes with experience and skill, and can be applied in every aspect of life, personal or at work.

Miscommunication begets misunderstandings and breaks relationships. This is so when people misinterpret what was said and start making assumptions dismissing any attempts for clarification. During my term as Vice President for NUS Radio Pulze, a director did not listen during meetings and reacted defensively when provided with constructive feedback. Her lack in effective communication skill has led to other directors refusing to cooperate with her, although her intentions meant well most of the time.

Effective communicating skills can allow me to have a better understanding over a particular situation as well. Through skills such as active listening, it will allow me to view things with a more balanced perspective, rather than obtain a biased judgment brought about by miscommunication.

Being an effective communicator can potentially save time. Just a few weeks ago, I met up with a childhood friend of mine for lunch at a restaurant called “Old Taste”. However, my friend heard it as “Old Town”, the name of another restaurant located in another part of the neighbourhood. Due to the inherent Malaysian traffic jam, he arrived 30 minutes later. Translating this to more important events such as meeting the customer and invading Iran Iraq, miscommunication can be a factor for inefficiency.

Hopefully, the skills learned will allow me to understand the various barriers and strategies to effective communication, allowing me to prevent such barriers from happening, or deal with the situation in a professional and calm manner should the barriers persist. 


7 comments:

  1. Hey I'm the first to comment on this post... Cool!

    Hey Chee Kiang,

    Let me start of by saying I totally agree with Brad. Nice layout and I love the comic strip.

    As for the post proper, I think it's quite insightful and though it is a subjective topic, (as I've mentioned in my blog as well), I think I tend to agree with you in quite a few points especially in your point that "miscommunication begets misunderstandings". Couldn't agree with you more my friend. I would say it is quite a fair assumption to make to say that most of the misunderstandings which arise even in the political arena between nations as well arise due to miscommunication.

    Furthermore, I think your personal experiences during your term as Vice-president for Radio Pulze as well as that interesting experience with your friend in Malaysia show the different degrees as well as situations in which miscommunication can affect our lives.

    Good job bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chee Kiang,

    I appreciate this detailed post. You address the topic well, with a general explanation of the value of effective communication and then specific examples as they relate to your experience.

    One sentence issue: "Through skills such as active listening, it will allow me to view things with a more balanced perspective, rather than obtain a biased judgment brought about by miscommunication."

    Do you see how this one could be made more concise, and thus, more effective? Hint: What does "it" refer to?

    Thanks for your effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dhinesh: Thanks for the compliments!

    Mr. Blackstone: Hmm, I see your point. "It" was referring to Effective communication skills, including active listening itself. Let me rephrase the sentence here!

    "Effective communication skills such as active listening will allow me to view things with a more balanced perspective, rather than obtain a biased judgment brought about by miscommunication."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chee Kiang,
    Your personal experiences has made you become aware of the importance of effective communication not only in important meetings or job interviews but also on your daily life.
    The comics is very good man, hope you continue to include them in your future posts also.
    Btw are you still in NUS Radio Pulze, we can listen to your show man...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yuvraj: Hey man! I'll try to find more relevant comic strips for the next few posts! I'm quite a dilbert fan actually =D

    Sadly, I'm not deejaying for Radio Pulze anymore, but you can find me on Podcast.sg this coming Feb/Mar!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chee Kiang,

    I must say that the asethetics of your blog is really wonderfully done. Overall your ideas was effectively brought across with your life examples.

    Anyway I would like to add on to what you have said in your 3rd paragraph where you stated how active listening can allow you to have a more balanced perspective. Apart from being an active listener, being objective will prevent any discounting of facts.

    Continue the great job men!

    ReplyDelete