Sunday, February 8, 2009

In between the post: Sequel to the Summer of ‘07

Alright, if you’ve been following my posts so far, the last time saw Jason and his subordinates (me included) stomping off in different directions. Here is what happened next.

The situation was much tensed. We refused to work even though the competition was getting nearer. In the end, Jason called Michael (again, name not real), one of the engineers, for a talk. Michael was like the trade union leader trying to negotiate with the employer for more recognition. The negotiations went nowhere for some reason which I cannot remember. We ended up shaking hands and “forgetting about it”. Do you think shaking hands solved everything? The fire was still raging in some of us.

So we decided to go for supper to discuss our plight. We came to a consensus that we needed to suck in our ego and finish up the work for the competition. All of us agreed that it was not worth coming this far and deciding to stop. You can say that we hid our anger and portrayed that things were fine.

The next few events would have sort of improved our relationship with Jason, though we did not put in much effort to mend the hatred. Firstly, we were the champions. We were so elated and overjoyed that we "forgave Jason". I guess when you are happy, all your problems just go away.

Secondly, he promised to buy us beer. That significantly changed everything =p

Now that two years have passed, I guess we have put whatever that was in the past as in the past. When I decided to work with him, I did not think about whether we would end up in the same situation again. Perhaps Jason has also changed his personality and managed his anger better from this incident.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I can see that the thrill of victory mixed with free beer would change your moods and sway your opinions.

    As for Jason's personality, do you really think that could change?

    Thanks for the follow up, Chee Kiang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Blackstone: Maybe he was trying to bribe us with the free beer! Well, it worked!

    As far as our relationship is concerned, Jason has not done the same thing to me as in Summer '07. However, I do hear things here and there from my other friends. Maybe it's because I know how to work with him now, making it easier to get along with.

    ReplyDelete