Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Curtain Call!


"Oops you just had a communication breakdown! You should save it for your blog-module thingy"

Ever since I took up Professional Communication, my girlfriend has been analysing our daily 'communication' problems, be it in school, work and play. And with every communication breakdown, she would then highlight to me whether it was juicy enough to be put on the blog or not!

And despite going through one semester of "Principles and Practices" of Professional Communication, I still experienced numerous communication breakdowns and miscommunications that was 'juicy enough for the blog'.

Not that I am accusing the course of failing to equip me with the skills to prevent any forms of misccomunications, I am just saying that putting principles and practices learned in classrooms into real life takes time. Furthermore, it is the 'trials and errors' that you encounter in real life that also make you understand the importance of proper communication. 

My views on communication is still the same as my first post: That effective communication is important in maintaining relationships, in preventing any misunderstandings, and in saving time etc.

The most important thing I learned from this 13 weeks would be that never take for granted the importance of communication, and don't assume that there are no miscommunication. Miscommunication will appear out of nowhere, when you least expected it.

Thank you everyone for an enjoyable semester! I hope you have enjoyed my company as much as I have enjoyed yours!




5 comments:

  1. Hey Chee Kiang,

    Lucky I got no girlfriends to avoid these mis-communications problems...haha. Still I feel to communicate effectively is an essential component of our life.

    Wish you all the best man and keep in touch.

    Cheers,
    Yuvraj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chee Kiang,

    I guess comunication as complex as it is, one can never master it to the extend that miscommunications will never arise. This is attributed to the diverse nature of human, so Chee Kiang we can be better but never perfect communicators. However, I am sure you have learnt a lot from the class, as much as I did or even more.

    Oh yes, your company has definitely been enjoyed very much. See you around and all the best for exams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey bro,

    Like all other skills, perfection and complete mastery also doesn't happen. But we can strive to be the best in that field or skill. Certainly that would help us minimise any form of miscommunication that might occur in the future. Besides that, I am sure we have gained a better understanding on how to resolve such miscommunication. Thanks bro for being in this class!

    Cheers bro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, there is no sure way of translating what we cover in ES2007S re interpersonal communication, or intercultural for that matter, into real life success. Textbook situations rarely present themselves as such in these areas. Even with all my years teaching the subject, trying to develop my EQ, trying to be the consummate communicator, it just doesn't come easy. (Ask the people I'm closest to if in doubt of my weaknesses.)

    But in some ways, I'd bet, what we do in ES2007S, the activities we go through, can provide background, some experience, and even an indication of what lies ahead for each of you. The mock job application
    process is certainly something that many students have said they benefitted from. And then there is the writing regime, one which is focused on process (the blogging) and product (the letters, the survey, the report, the resume).

    As you say, CH, this is all trial and error stuff. Ya wanna play soccer or basketball competitively, then ya better get yourself on the playing field a lot in preparation. It's funny since just tonight I was talking with a lady doctor who has been affiliated with the WHO for many years and who is now with a think-tank here in Singapore. When she heard what I do, the first thing she said was "that's great, because young people in the medical and science fields have so little experience WRITING and PRESENTING for an audience before they find themselves in work situations where that is expected of them."

    Then I thought to myself, with so much writing practice and a bit of presenting being facilitated, maybe we're getting something right.

    In any case, thanks CK for all your efforts and insights this term. It was a pleasure to work with you. & best wishes for much success and satisfaction in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yuvraj:

    Lucky for you or lucky for me!! Haha, well we learn from our experiences, and through clarifications and apologies, our relationship is strengthened =)

    Good luck in your future man!

    Terence:

    You're right, we can be better but still not perfect! It's like you can never give 5-popcorns (perfect score) to an 'exceptionally' good movie. That is, of course, not practiced in real life.

    Thanks for your company and your comments thus far Terence =D

    10centsworth:

    Dude where were you on the last day! Like what that family advertisement on TV says, appreciate the perfections of the imperfections, no one is perfect, and never in the world is there someone who is a SUPERBLY good communicator, although the hot ones now are probably President Obama.

    Brad Blackstone:

    We have so little experiences in writing and presenting, that I am astonished by the quality of the current healthcare providers' work in Singapore. I was in SGH this morning for the SGH Scientific Conference (my research got accepted into the conference *shy*), and to be honest, only the NUS-affiliated researches produced good posters. The rest of the posters, done by physicians, nurses, and other staffs in SGH, can range from "boleh tahan" to horrendous!

    So thank you for helping us to become a better communicator Mr. Blackstone. It was a pleasure to work with you too, and who knows I might bump into you one day at your wife's performances =p (NOT STALKING YOU YEAH LOL)

    CK

    ReplyDelete