Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Reflections: My Oral Presentation

I spent the entire night editing the video clip on “The Green Initiative Fund”, and two other videos. In fact, I wasn’t even sure whether any of the videos would be used in our presentation. Also, I drank a total of three 3-in-1s and one “teh peng” from the Fong Seng Chess Prata Shop, all within a period of 7 hours.

To put it simply, when it was my turn to present, the only thing keeping me awake, was caffeine and adrenaline, and to some extent nicotine.

Why did I leave it to last minute you might ask? Well, if it was formulated into an equation, it would be “Last minute = Procrastination + Other tests that week + Hall commitments”.

But I am happy the way things turned out. Despite feeling nervous (I think nervous can be a good thing if put it to good use), the clicking of wrong slides, and the occasional mental blanks, we managed to carry the message across, and got members of the floor to ask us intelligent questions.

Other than being nervous, I felt that the presentation would be smoother if there were no problems with the video. Although it is impossible to come earlier to test the venue’s technology, in a real situation, the audience would probably lose interest when we only start testing the technology when called on stage.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank my group mates for doing such a wonderful job. You guys did great alright?

Do give me feedback on our presentation! 

6 comments:

  1. Just a quick note: You three did a very admirable job in presenting on a valuable topic. I've read the comments made on Grace and ZiQi's post by others, and they all agree that what you did was well organized, engaging and well delivered. If you were "speeding," it sure didn't show.

    Thanks, CK! (Yes, I'll give more comments to your Facebook mail.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chee Kiang,

    I personally feel you guys did a very good job. The slides were very well done. I agree with you about the last minute job, I think everyone does it here in NUS due to our hectic schedules.

    Cheers man...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chee Kiang,

    I agree with Brad as well. I think you guys did an excellent job. I personally think that your group did the best of all the presentations (including my group) that day.

    As for hiccups, yeah they happen. As far as tests and assignments go, well it aint NUS without them right? And I agree with you that the technology part was a real bummer. Our group was affected by it as well. I'm sure you remember the MUSIC video without any SOUND!

    So don't beat yourself about it too much... You did fine...

    Cheerz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chee Kiang,

    Sorry if this came a bit too late. However, I felt that your group like what the rest have commented have doen a wonderful job. The amount of preparation your group did was clearly exhibited during your presentation. The contents and organisation was great. The organisation was so clearly planned that your presentation need not be brilliant to actually convey your messages. The point I want to make was the great preparation really took the pressure of your group for the actual presentation, it was like half the battle already won. Nonetheless, you guys were wonderful during the presentation, making the most out of your preparation.

    Sorry if I have been giving too much of a collective comment on your group rather than specific to you as your group really projected yourselves as a group which really displyed great teamwork. As to comments specific to you, I thought you were calm and very comfortable during your speech. One thing you could improve on is to be more engaging to the audience, probably more eye contact with the audience.

    Anyway great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brad Blackstone, Dhinesh, yuvraj, Terence Huang:

    Thanks guys for the comments! It really was a group effort, and if wasn't for them, I don't think the we would be able to pull it off =)

    Aiya, look at the Baywatch guys, don't be so humble la! You all also did a great job! Next time come in red trunks though! WOOT!

    CK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi CK, I really agree with the others that you guys did a great job during the presentation. it can be seen that you guys communicated well with each other and there was a certain amount of chemistry in the group. I felt that the work done and presentation by each of the three of you were evenly distributed and well rehearsed. Don't be so tough on yourself, coping with school work, especially with the tests and projects due and hall stuff is never easy! So great job!

    ReplyDelete