Sunday, March 22, 2009

About Me: A Third Party Perspective

Lam Chee Kiang is currently pursuing a pharmacy degree at the National University of Singapore (NUS). He plans to specialize in oncology or ambulatory care management within the next 5 years upon graduation, and also obtain a masters in business administration or health management. Among the career prospects Chee Kiang plans to venture include hospital healthcare, government enforcement, clinical research, pharmaceutical marketing, and pharmacy profession development.

Born and bred in Malaysia, Chee Kiang has been living in Singapore for almost 5 years now. He is well adapted to the Singapore lifestyle, and has no qualms about living independently abroad.

Chee Kiang believes that dreams are only achievable if you act on it. This is evident from the non-pharmacy related activities he has been participating in thus far. His interest in radio presenting has motivated him to join the NUS campus radio station Radio Pulze. To push himself further, he even obtained a part-time internship with local radio station Lush 99.5, a position usually given to communications and media students.

Chee Kiang also believes that success is not only defined by paper qualifications. This is especially important in the pharmacy career, where soft skills such as inter-personal communication, patient empathy, ethical considerations and human resource management are crucial.  This is well in accordance to his belief that such skills are best acquired through involving oneself in a multitude of activities out of the classroom and a practical, realistic environment such as co-curricular activities and internships.

 

 

 

7 comments:

  1. This is a well written background statement, Chee Kiang. It paints a very favorable picture of your goals and your motivation for being involved in a broad scope of activity. Your possible medical-related ventures strike me as being fairly comprehensive. Knowing how bright and driven you are, I'm curious to see how all that works out for you.

    By the way, are you still involved in Radio Pulze and/or Lush FM? I'm curious about your work there.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chee Kiang,
    Your biodata stongly shows your interest in the field of medecine. The last paragraph where you mentioned about the human touch that is required is very true and I totally agree with that. If any person working in the medical field can convince a patient that he is going to recover soon, it is indeed a great relief.

    Good luck for your future man.

    Cheers,
    Yuvraj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello everyone! Thank you Brad and Yuvraj for the comments. I am indeed passionate about my pharmacy career, and to some extent, a career as a DJ. We shall see what the future beholds =)

    I have just stepped down from Radio Pulze a semester ago, though I do render my support and help when they need me to! As for Lush, the internship only lasted for two months (February - March). If you didn't hear me, you can still catch me at www.podcast.sg !!!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Chee Kiang,

    I am impressive with you. You are so clear and determined on what you want to do and focus on in the future. I believe most of us here have a few choices in mind but I am pretty sure I am not as clearly focused as you are about the future.Perhaps I should really start thinking and planning, focusing on what i want in future. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Chee Kiang,

    I agree with Zoelyn in that it's great to see that you're so focused about your future. Nice to see NUS students who have such diverse interests and be involved in CCAs and hobbies which have nothing to do with their degrees like yours truly! ;)

    Also, great to see that we've got a few things in common such as wanting to do a Masters in Business Admin and doing a degree in the medical science line. ANyway, all the best for the future and I'm sure things will work out for you just the way you want them to!

    Cheerz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chee Kiang,

    Your biodata is very complete and you have provided every aspect of your achievement with concrete examples. After reading your biodata, I get the feeling that you are focused and determined to achieve your goal.

    Good luck with your future goals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Zoelyn, Dhinesh and Min Khine,

    I think being focused about your future only comes when you found your interest. Thankfully for me, I found it during the middle of my course in NUS.

    So Zoelyn, don't freak out so much if you haven't thought about what you want to do. My only advice is to branch out and experience more from other fields, be it academics, hobbies or interests. I feel that once you've got the experience or the life skills, you probably know then what you really want to do with your life =)

    To Dhinesh, hey who says Science students can't do arty farty stuff huh? Maybe we can be classmates again when we do our MBA or something!

    All the best in your future guys!

    CK

    ReplyDelete